Boston and New York Private Equity and Hedge Fund Litigation
PSD’s New York and Boston private equity fund lawyers have represented numerous private equity funds, hedge funds, asset management companies and their executives, portfolio companies and constituents in litigations and arbitrations involving disputes unique to and common in the industry.
PSD has deep experience in claims by limited partners and investors, regulatory investigations, limited partnership contract disputes, clawback collection, general partner fiduciary duty issues, and acquisition, earnout and exit disputes. Our lawyers have appeared in various state and federal courts around the country. Also, PSD’s Boston and New York private equity fund and hedge fund lawyers have appeared before FINRA and other arbitration panels. Furthermore, PSD’s investigative efforts have helped frame disputes in ways that have resolved them promptly. Clients have included entities with billions of dollars under management.
Representative Matters – Boston and New York Private Equity Fund and Hedge Fund Lawyers
In various high stake matters, PSD private equity fund lawyers have led the following sample representations in recent years:
- Won dismissal of private equity fund from trade secret and conversion claims
- Obtained a New York judgment for New England-based private equity funds with more than $1 billion under management. Within months of commencing litigation, PSD Boston private equity fund lawyers obtained the return of an earnout escrow and purchase consideration. In the matter, PSD lawyers uncovered competitive activities of the portfolio company founder.
- Collected more than $8 million in clawback obligations through litigations and arbitration from former fund managers.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of large international fund dismissing fraud claim seeking eight-figure damages. A prominent group of domestic investment funds had brought the claim.
- Recovered high seven-figure settlement in Florida case from old equity who competed with an entity formed bya private equity fund. The client had acquired the assets out of bankruptcy proceedings.
- Successfully defended an analyst of an asset management company with more than $3 billion under management. The matter involved parallel SEC and DOJ investigations into the use of public board members as paid experts.
- Obtained on behalf of private fund the dismissal of tortious interference claims against it in Oklahoma based on its acquisition of assets in a section 363 sale out of bankruptcy proceedings allegedly in violation of exclusivity rights of a competing suitor.
- Resolved several threats of claims against large private funds before litigation without payments.
- Represented private fund in course of investigation by international banking agency concerning alleged theft of trade secrets. As a result, there was no action taken against or consequences for PSD’s client.
This practice area of New York and Boston private equity fund lawyers and hedge fund lawyers is led by PSD partner Barry Pollack.