Eric M. Sommers
(617) 439-9800 Ext. 7
Intellectual Property Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Family Law, Entertainment Law
- Lead counsel for Rock & Roll hall of fame vocal group in numerous cases successfully securing trademark rights to the group’s name, enjoining imposter groups, and securing damages for trademark infringement.
- Successfully secured injunctive relief for online personality trade name in dispute between performer and business partner.
- Secured early resolution in protecting name and likeness rights from misuse by third party.
- Secured favorable settlement of copyright infringement claims brought by architect, interior designer, artist, music licensing holders, authors, and software companies.
- Secured favorable settlement for plaintiff in claims of theft of trade secrets in cases involving online marketing strategies, proprietary business information, proprietary technology and manufacturing processes.
- Resolved trademark and unfair competition actions in a wide range of industries such as firearms, music, television, printing, pharmaceuticals, and online sales
- Represented individuals and companies in numerous commercial disputes, including breach of fiduciary duty, unfair competition, breach of contract, insurance coverage, business torts, and employment litigation.
- Numerous family law representations, including both mediation and trial involving alimony, property division, child custody and support, abuse, modification, contempt, and restraining orders.
- Represented numerous clients in domestic violence and stalking litigation.
- Litigated trademark issues before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Trademark and Copyright counseling and prosecution for wide range of businesses and media
- Music law, including copyright protection, recording agreement, licensing, publishing, performance rights, and privacy and publicity rights.
Professional and Community Activities
- America Bar Association, Business Law section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Guest lecturer—trademarks and music, Berklee College of Music (Fall of 2014)
- Lecturer, “Intellectual Property Primer for Design Professionals,” Boston University Center for Digital Imaging Arts (November 2008).
- Lecturer on basics of intellectual property protection for Rhode Island School of Design Center for Design and Business (2004-2005)
- Recipient of 2012 YWCA of Manchester (New Hampshire) Heroes for Justice award for work in domestic violence
- Recipient of the 2010 Distinguished Pro Bono Service Award for the Dove Project (domestic violence)
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court Rhode Island
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, 1999
- Articles Editor, The Ohio State Journal On Dispute Resolution
- Public Service Fellow—Low Income Tax Assistance
- University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, 1987
- College of Arts and Sciences—Top 10%
- Phi Alpha Theta International History Honor Society